Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My job..Oh, and by the way..CAN'T means Won't

Wow, busy day at work today. Everything was a crisis, needed to be done yesterday...And I loved it!!!

I am a Senior Project Engineer in the Information Technology department of Union Pacific. Frankly I think they use the Senior title because I'm old...lol...I manage large IT projects in my AOR (area of responsibility), which is the Utah, Denver and Idaho Service units. Essentially that's the Idaho Canadian border to Las Vegas, from Elko to Salina Kansas, along with some of Wyoming thrown in as well. Laptops, desktops, Multi function devices, copiers, printers, our group manages them all. We manage  the entire replacement cycle of these devices, and ensure that they fulfill what the user's need to do their jobs. Our group also gets projects from time to time, usually that have to be hands on and local, and always difficult. We have a reputation for getting them done, on time, and under budget.

I also oversee all computer peripheral requests for the entire company, as well as a portion of the toner and inkjet cartridge requests as well. I work with everyone from senior staff to laborers and everyone in between. In addition to all of this, I am very blessed, I LOVE what I do. You should also know that Union Pacific is a great company to work for, despite the fact that it can be difficult to get hired by them. I worked as a contractor for two years, no vacation, no benefits waiting to get hired.

Put some more weight on my foot today. Got the pins and needles feeling all over, didn't really hurt.

Sadly I will be missing the latest Star Trek movie opening, but not sad that I won't be around the crowds. In my state of mind I'm not likely to be nice to people, especially when they're rude. It's likely I will be quite rude right back at them.

Why do people ask for advice, get carefully thought out answers and then decide not to use it...And do it over and over and over? Seriously. I am going to stop giving advice and counsel, in particular when they ask for it. For me, it's like wrestling with a pig. Both of you get dirty, and it pisses the pig off...

Final thought...And when someone say that they can't, it really means that they won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment