Saturday, May 11, 2013

Yeah, not going to be a real popular blog..

Mother’s Day..Not much of a day for me really. My mom passed a number of years ago, we were never really close. And she wasn’t much of a mother..Now to be fair, she didn’t drink or do drugs, she didn’t beat me or anything like that. I suppose I should be grateful for that. She just wasn’t much involved in my life, even when I was a kid.  She did have a bad habit of telling us kids that we were nobody, and would never amount to anything, I always loved to hear that. Always had a roof over my head, and food on the table, and that was about it from her. I’m not bitter, nor happy or sad about it, it is what it is. She did steal a car from me when my brother died and gave it to her brother, never really forgave her for that.
I’ve never really said much of this out loud, certainly not in one place, but felt like it was time to say something. I can honestly say that it has made me a better parent, as I vowed not to be like her. Interesting how that works, isn’t it. And I know I have made a HUGE amount of mistakes raising my kids, that’s a given. To me, it’s a crime if you don’t learn from your mistakes.  But throughout it all I’ve tried to be a better parent and person. So I guess in the long run she did teach me something.

Mother’s Day Flashback, 1971, I was ten years old, and we lived in an old farmhouse five miles from the nearest town (Plymouth Indiana, outside of South Bend).  The tornado watches and warnings had been going on all day in the counties around us. Then we heard on the radio one was possibly headed our way so the entire family went to the basement.  After sitting there for a while I decided I needed to see what was going on so I slipped up the stairs and outside. Not long after that the tornado went through a huge cucumber field that was across the street from our house. I was probably 300 yards away from it. It was the most incredible thing I have ever seen, then and now. I will never forget it.
Don’t usually put an entry into the Facebook giveaways but Caputo’s had one this week for some of their high end chocolates, and I won a 12 piece assortment. Picked them up today and had a Muffaletta sandwich, was a GREAT lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment