Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tuesday.....Gyro's and Tzatziki Sauce



Strange day today, watching all the stories of human kindness in Boston. Then more information about how the bombings were carried out. It has been a veritable roller coaster ride that I am sure will continue.

Five more days until this cast comes off. I’ve actually been able to cook a few dinners, so that’s helped to improve my mood some. Still dehydrated, even though I’m drinking a ton of water and trying to cut back on the diet soda. I think that my level of inactivity is creating its own set of issues, though before I broke my foot I wasn’t very active. I can tell you that after I get this cast off it will change. 

Preparations continue for dinner on Saturday night at the Ronald McDonald House. I look forward to this each month. This time we should have seven different soups for the parents and kids to try at their convenience during the evening. Hopefully this time everyone will get me their recipes in advance. I like to post the recipes by each dish so the families know what is in them, no guessing on their part. The families are always so grateful, we usually sit with them, engage them in conversation. Sometimes tears are exchanged, sometimes not, hugs as well. We always tell the families that we’ll be back next month, and hope they’re not there. When they are there the next month it’s always bittersweet.
Ronald McDonald House SLC

Homemade Gyro’s for dinner. I don’t actually make the pita’s, but I do make the pork (Cavender’s Salt Free Greek Seasoning) and the Tzatziki sauce. I don’t blenderize my sauce, I like the chunks of cucumber in it. Probably use more dill than most would for the sauce, but I like a lot of dill.
Cavender’s
Tzatziki Sauce

Grocery Tip
Try Trader Joes for your kitchen spices, including Dill. VERY well stocked and priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment