Monday, April 1, 2013

Week #2 Broken foot musings

This last week I have experienced a pardigm shift of epic proportions. Everyone is helping me instead of the other way around, and it's actually been quite uncomfortable. I'm not complaining mind you, it could have been much worse with surgery and all kinds of fun stuff. But things a week ago I took for granted, like walking to the bathroom or going to the store have changed dramatically. No weight on the foot for 4-8 weeks...sounds pretty simple doesn't it? It's not. Thankfully someone created a very helpful gadget called the Knee Scooter, you place your affect limb on it and then glide around, pushing with the other foot. Oh this was clearly invented for balance less fools like me. I almost killed myself coming back to the house after the Dr. visit, trying to fall down the stairs with crutches. I've done that before, trust me it's not as fun as it sounds...

Friends and family have been more than gracious, bringing in food, helping to clean the house, clean out the litter box, take out the garbage. Daily Goods has a website that you can order groceries from, and have them delivered the next day (and it's fairly well priced - if you'd like to try them I have coupons). Shopko Pharmacy will mail prescription meds and Amazon can take up the rest of the slack. I put a chair in the kitchen that swivels, so I can sit on it and cook, yet something else I have taken for granted in the past.

Interesting, my toes are green, evidently a remnant of the bruising that takes place when you break a bone like I did, basically turning my right foot under itself. This created a spiral break in the bone, looks great on an X-ray. Only the second time in my life I've ever broken a bone. Last time I broke both my wrists, that was a time I'll tell you. They wanted to cast both arms, I told them absolutely not. There are some things a man needs to do for himself...

And on that note, I bid you adieu until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Both wrists at the same time? Wow, that is crazy. Though I can see how such a large change would affect you. I most certainly being an independent person would not want to rely on people.

    ReplyDelete